Friday, November 5, 2010

The easiest pumpkin bread ever!

 I'm going to Florida for four days and my husband, who is now spoiled by the treats from my blog trials, was upset that I was leaving the cake dome filled with only one cupcake (the recipe will come when I get back from my trip).  So, I realized that I had some pureed pumpkin left over from my Biggest Loser cupcake debacle and decided to make some pumpkin bread. Quick, easy and delicious!

This bread is super moist, but read the notes at the bottom of the recipe for some possible modifications.

Quick and Easy Pumpkin Bread

 Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg (see note 1)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil and/or 1/4 cup fat-free greek yogurt (see note 2)
  • 1 egg
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan,
    or line with parchment paper for easier removal!
  2. Mix together dry ingredients in bowl. Add pumpkin, oil/yogurt and eggs; mix until fully incorporated (you can do this by hand, no need for a mixer).
  3. Bake for 1 hour or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Voila!
    Notes:
    1. This recipe is very conservative on the pumpkin pie spice. You might want to double the cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg if you like a lot of that spice profile.  Also, you can substitute 1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice if you have that instead.
    2. This bread is VERY moist!!!! I used both oil and greek yogurt, but I'm thinking that next time I might just try to omit the oil. I think the pumpkin and yogurt do quite a sufficient job.
    3.  You could also sprinkle the top with a cinnamon sugar mixture before baking.
    4. Of course, feel free to play with any mix-ins such as chocolate chips or nuts!

    What would you mix in?

    5 comments:

    1. Mmm, that looks super yummy. I will need to hunt down any pureed pumpkin i can find in Oslo to make this tomorrow. I will probably double the spices, like you suggested, and I might add some nuts.

      Have a great trip and tell everyone, including your very lucky hubby, I said hi.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Well, if you can get a real pumpkin, you can roast that in the oven and then puree it... I've done that before to make this bread, when I was feeling ambitious. Not at 10pm at night when trying to appease someone at the last minute. :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I just completed this recipe and it's in the oven. I will let you know how it comes out. I do have 2 pumpkins currently in the house. But I have no desire to attempt to roast them.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hellooooo..... Why am I only finding out about this now?!?!?!?

      Can I put in a request for banana nut for next weekend? That's the only way you can prove you don't hate me?

      ReplyDelete
    5. I baked this bread.
      I made some alterations based on what I had in the kitchen. I used regular yogurt instead of Greek, and no oil. I felt the bread was still moist. I added about a cup of crushed Walnuts (might have over done it there). I sprinkled some Cinn&Sugar on top prior to baking, along with Sea Salt. Enjoyed it, it made like a crystalized topping like a DD Muffin. Yum!

      ReplyDelete